There is a password associated with each mailing list you are subscribed to, in order to keep others from modifying your
mailing list options. If you are subscribed to two mailing lists, you technically have two passwords (although they can be the same if you like).
You only need your mailing list subscription password when unsubscribing from a mailing list via the web, or if you want to change your
options (such as whether to temporarily stop receiving email sent to the mailing list, or whether to receive email from the list in a daily batch
instead of individual messages).
To have your password for a particular mailing list emailed to you, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org (where listname is the name of the list for which you want your subscription password) and
put the word password in the body of the email - your password for that mailing list will be emailed to your subscribed email address.
You can also have your password emailed to you by using the web interface:
- Go to the list information page, and click on the mailing list for which you'd like to get your password.
- At the bottom of the page, enter your email address and click the "unsubscribe or edit options" button.
- Under the "Forgotten Your Password?" heading, click the "Email My password To Me" button.
Please do not use a password which you use for other services, such as your DU pass code, because it is possible for some mailing lists to be configured to send (unencrypted) monthly password reminders to list subscribers.
Send an email to email@example.com (where listname is the name of the list for which you want to
change your subscription password) and include the following two lines in the message:
password <oldpassword> <newpassword>
Replace the string <oldpassword> with your current password, and <newpassword> with what you would like to use as your new password.
You can also use the web interface to change your password:
- GO to the list information page, and click on the mailing list for which you'd like to change your subscription password.
- At the bottom of the page, click the "Unsubscribe Or Edit Options" button.
- Login with your email address and current password
- Fill in both the "New password" and the "Again to confirm" fields with what you want your new password to be.
- If you click the "Change Globally" check box (below the "Change My Password" button) you can change your password
associated with all du.edu mailing lists which your email address is currently subscribed to
- Click the "Change My Password" button.